Well… I’ve been on WordPress for 2 years now. I actually don’t know where the time has gone, however regardless, I have learnt a lot over the last 2 years, so I decided I would share my advice for blogging with you, since advice is one of the few things in life that is free (well my advice is anyway, mostly because no one values it.) Anyway, here is my advice:
1. Don’t. Seriously, don’t blog. Something like 93% of what you try to say is conveyed through body language. If you can do maths, that means only 7% of my message actually gets through. Vlogging is probably a better option. However, if you are adament you want to blog, read on.
2. Social Media Is Your Friend. Social media is a great way to get followers, most of the few people who follow me found me through social media. It also allows you to connect with them in a better way than just the 1 post per week.
3. Choose Your Platform. I started off with both WordPress and Blogspot (my first two posts are on there). I ruled out Tumblr because too many people I know use it, I preferred WordPress because the Android app is really easy to uses, whichever platform you choose, there are loads of free ones out there to choose from, don’t feel you have to pay to selfhost, I personally don’t see the point.
Please do not read these, they are possibly the worst two posts I ever wrote, they are also on WordPress, can I also point out that its entertaining I started this blog when I was ill. Oh and look, I’m also ill as I write this post too.
4. Pictures. My posts including pictures tend to get more views than ones without, this also makes it easier for people to read.
5. Don’t post for no reason. Not only is it a waste of your time making posts every day for the sake of it (once upon a time I did this) but it pisses your followers of, on WordPress they get an email EVERY TIME YOU POST. I don’t like my inboxes getting clogged up with pointless stuff.
6. Break Up your Post. Personally I love lists, bullet points, like this, I find it much less intimidating than a giant block of text.
7. There is no point copying other people. I don’t follow many other bloggers. Not only because I don’t have time, but also because otherwise I am influenced, any ideas I have are my ideas unless otherwise stated. I don’t want to be like someone else and to be honest, if I was being like someone else the few people who read this (hello) may as well go somewhere else.
So that is my advice. Not that anyone values it but anyway. My two years on this blog have been so amazing and I’ve just found myself being able to be so much more positive, I’ve been able to connect with some amazing people and I’ve been able to come to terms with who I am much better.
To the few people who bother to read what I have to say regularly, thank you. Every like, every comment means so much to me. Every follow means even more (if that’s possible). So thank you again.
Love, AkwardHuman xx